COVID 19: Global death toll surged past 50 thousand | The Background

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Contact Us

Google Play

Breaking News

COVID 19: Global death toll surged past 50 thousand

The Background:

The global toll due to Covid-19 has gone past 50,000. As many as 51,335 people have died so far due this pandemic. Number of positive cases is 998,047 across 180 countries and regions. 208,630 people have, so far, recovered from this viral infection. This data has been taken from Johns Hopkins University and Medicine. According to this institute, the confirmed cases in India are 2,341 and the death toll is 68.

According to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare data, active cases stand at 1860 and 53 deaths reported.

At a video conference with the chief ministers on Thursday, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi stressed upon a common plan to ensure staggered movement of people after the lockdown. It is seen as a first governmental meeting to formulate a common exit strategy once the lockdown ends nearly two weeks from now.

The Prime Minister said, “It is important to formulate a common exit strategy to ensure staggered re-emergence of the population once the lockdown ends.”

He also asked the states to “work on war footing, identify virus hotspots and encircle them” to ensure minimum loss of life.

Nine chief ministers participated in the meeting along with home minister Amit Shah, defence minister Rajnath Singh and other Central ministers.

The Prime Minister is also going to share a video message tomorrow at 9 AM.

Meanwhile, the Centre has allowed transit arrangements for stranded foreign nationals and also the evacuation of foreigners who came to India after February 15 and who test negative after their quarantine period is over.

UN Human Rights chief Michelle Bachelet had said that she is distressed to see the plight of migrants who have been affected by the lockdown in India. “The lockdown in India represents a massive logistical and implementation challenge given the population size and its density and we all hope the spread of the virus can be checked.”

ANI has reported that sixteen Haj Houses have been turned into quarantine centres in the country.  Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has informed.

Two writers’ and journalists’ bodies have released statements and criticised Indian government’s treatment of media amidst global pandemic.

PEN Delhi has also released a statement. It said, “PEN Delhi notes with concern the attitude of the Indian government, state governments and police authorities towards the media in India, during the ongoing battle against COVID-19 and the nationwide lockdown it has led to.”

 

Facebook Comments